Joe Hall

4.11


We were fleeing the killer in the mansion

Under the moon's sterile searchlight

On wet prairie grass between my fingers and hands

You were licking me in the stomach, yelling

Pokeweed, Lamb's quarters, Meatball

Sandwich, Meatball Sandwich, Nazareth--I asked you to

We entered the forest's weird rooms

And snatched as much Sudafed as we could

Every two trees a doorway, a thread of spider silk the lintel

Carrying the structure's weight, the nuclear sequence

Initiated in lady eggs

I let my knife into the leaf mold, it

Was something I had to do. Mathew? Mark?

Yes. Luke? No. John? Yes

You wanted to stop at the front door

To change your clothes, your mother was there

But the killer seemed pretty focused on you

You asked me to put you in a suitcase so I did

White Pine Needles, Soloman's Seal, Spiderwort

One version being a column of fire

Expanding the limit of your endurance--Nazareth

Butterfly weed, Mayapple, vital jelly

In an apparatus of poison, flowers

Made of blah blah blah, fire and the field

A lighthouse in the yellow fog

I kept pushing through the branches

On a reef made of ship bottoms, walking

Through mounds of sassafras and rising insects

Where constellations rust on long ruined axes

Lord Jesu thou didst bow Thy dying head upon

The tree, this not a prayer without your following

O be not now / More dead to me! Word

Without from which the word

I pissed myself in a blackout in the land of doors

They booted me from the library, that's alright

Morel, Puffball, Turkey Tail

Where does one find enough

Blood to turn back the fire?





























...