Reynard Seifert

a PaRTiaL LiST oF THiNGS i SaW
an excerpt from SOMETHING OR OTHER

  1. I saw politicians glad-h& nacho vendors, taco sauce all over their smiling faces; blood pouring from their eyes, their tears became empowered from reading Xeroxed copies of The Pilgrim's Progress between reruns of "Lost."
  2. I saw scientists wire electric boxes leading nowhere & to no one except for plots of l& littered with "for sale" signs rotting in the desert like fruit for famine shriveled from too much sweetness & sunshine.
  3. I saw bucolic settings become backwards seeming, cracked with decay & trepidation & too much pasta salad with no wine to wash it down.
  4. I saw myself in a carnival mirror & thought, You've gained so much weight! - then I side-stepped to find that I was, in fact, very tall & thin; & then again, I was just me, just boring old me in my boring old body, not quite short or tall, not quite fat or thin, just boring & old & me--it made me so sad I frowned & the mirror covered me in a reflective film, out of kindness I suppose.
  5. I saw the ground pulled out from beneath our feet by the man upstairs, who fancied himself some sort of comedian.
  6. I saw planes crash into buildings, not because they were angry, but because they had no place to l&.
  7. I saw women getting horizontal with buildings while the men surrounded themselves with brick & mortar & pesto sauce a bit too salty for my taste.
  8. I saw a logjam the size of Texas in the South Pacific block the ocean from its better half.
  9. I saw birds pull splinters out of the logjam, splinters the size of Buicks.
  10. I saw the ocean rise and fall.
  11. I saw the spice flow & flow, from China, where most people live--striking.
  12. I saw chaos & creation pulled to & fro by the h& of a giant open-mike night comedian, laughing too loud at its own jokes.
  13. I saw pizza bake & bake in brick ovens, large as some isl& chains of the South Pacific but not quite as large as the logjam, which was the size of Texas & thus HUGE.
  14. I saw gigantic chiggers apply toothpaste directly to their eardrums in order to drown out the sound of people starving because the oil fields dried up like raisins in the sun.
  15. I saw laundry mat bums pick short change from their teeth wax with faux palm tree fronds next to every Coinstar machine I came across.
  16. I saw Larry Rivers dig up pinecones for a portrait of the man upstairs he was painting with tomato juice & fresh ground pepper - when I asked him for one he punched me in the torso then broke my nose with an uppercut.
  17. I saw a wine-o with no teeth hit on a manikin through a storefront window, rubbing his breasts seductively as if doing a strip tease for his own reflection.
  18. I saw rows of rocks covered in occult symbols, the significance of which was lost on my eyes, although many claimed they were intended for child's play.
  19. I saw the Internet - the whole thing - & concluded it was a means to an end with no beginning.
  20. I saw a funeral & wondered why they did not eat the body first.
  21. I saw a donkey show & wondered why.
  22. I met a young lady named magiK Molly, who ate my heart.



















...