Karen Sosnoski

The____Trip

Driving Somewhere

Why am I in this car with you, lady? Who's this piggy sitting next to me?

Quiet, your brother's sleeping.

What's brother? . . . Tell a story, lady.

I'm driving. I'm writing a story in my head, but it's for big people. You tell me.

Once upon a time this lady had a daughter who looked nothing like her. She was beautiful and blond. After the lady had another baby, a piggy, the girl had to potty-train herself. She was only two. The end.

You know we've talked about this. Countless times I've said I'm sorry that you feel displaced. It's really just a feeling though. Moving on. Another story?

Wunz upon a time there wuz this ladeye from Tex--ASS? She lived happily with her byootiful blond daughter untill--

--Okay now, stop the same old, same old! And they don't talk like that in Texas.

It's not same old! This one's for big people. You heard the swear.

Same essence . . . You know, I could dye my hair your color--

What's essence? You ain't know how they talk'n Tex-ASS!

(if I wanted to)

How long till we get there, Mom?

There?

Grandma's!

Grandma? Who's that lady?





Getting There

HmmmHmmmmmmHmmmHmmmmm.

Hi Mom.

HmHmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

Hi Grandma.

Look. HmmHmm's smiling. She's happy to see us!





Rest Stop

Let me smell your armpits before I go to sleep. I will always be born first. I'm your baby cub. You're my mama. I can track you by your scent. Wherever you go, I will follow you.

I'm not sure that will always be good for you. And you know my scent will change . . .

You don't know what will always be good for me. Then I'll track you by your essence.





Ever After

Once upon a time this lady wrote a story, "The Alzheimer's Trip" about her mother's decomposition, her father's grief. She edited out the parts that would have offended her mother, those that could break her father. She cut everything untrue. At dusk she scans the sky for crows circling--will they?--won't they?--what remains?





into the night

I'm your firstborn. You're my mama____your scent____your essence____wherever you go.

















...